Why should you have a One Page Strategic Plan (OPSP)?
Creating a strategic plan helps you to:
- Articulate a 3-Year plan and strategic core elements that align members of the leadership team
- Remind teams to think holistically about the business and prevent them from getting stuck in the operational “weeds”
- Establish a common language and framework with colleagues
- Clarify your current annual initiatives and bring to focus interdependencies (the big picture) across departments / functions
- Provide the opportunity to execute on new services/offerings while understanding how they fit into the larger picture
What does a One Page Strategic Plan look like?
Here is a sample One Page Strategic Plan.
How long does it take to create a One Page Strategic Plan?
It depends on a few factors. (Don’t you hate that answer?). How fast is your company growing? How big is your leadership team? Do you feel an urgent need to get this done today, or can it evolve over time?
Here is a sample roadmap for what we typically can cover during the first year working with us:
Filling out the OPSP can be relatively simple, especially if you are a company that has some of the key elements already identified. However, living the plan is something different — that requires people to change behaviors, and holding people accountable to the plan.
If you feel that you can self-implement, that’s great!
But, if you need help with structure, processes, holding people accountable and just even carving out the time and energy to do this, contact me — we would love to help.
How do I get started?
Start by reading (or listening, if you are an Audible person) the book Scaling Up by Verne Harnish. And, download the growth tools from Scaling Up, the OPSP is part of the growth tools. Then, feel free to reach out to me directly, and we can talk about next steps that fit your company.